Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012

Management of the Mineo CARA (hosting centre for asylum seekers) Mayor Marletta's proposal

While some mayors in the Caltagirone area are holding meetings ever higher up the political ranks in order to run the Mineo Cara (Hosting Centre for Asylum Seekers) independently, the mayor of Palagonia, Valerio Marletta strongly reiterates that he wishes to take a stand against this politics which deviates huge sums of public money into a structure that after the departure of the Americans would never have been able to find a better way to make money.
"Since the village opened, which is also called the village of 'solidarity'," said Marletta, "we have been speaking out against the squalid operations of the former Minister, Maroni, to experiment the new segregationist politics, even on asylum seekers, in a place that is more than 10kms from the nearest inhabited centre. Tens of millions of euro have been squandered and have gone to fill the pockets of the usual local businessmen and all at the expense of the migrants who are still having to wait for their permits of stay, given the numerous and often fabricated rejections which are issued, which result in huge waiting times."
"But we have come to a proposal," continued Marletta, "for a solution regarding the Mineo Cara, that in our opinion, would benefit everyone concerned."
"Let's take the annual cost of the rent paid for the Village of Oranges, add the Centre's running and maintenance costs along with the costs which are entailed for the forces of order; from that figure we can take off 10% which will be considered savings and the remaining 90% can be divided up between 60-70 SPRAR (Protection System for Asylum Seekers and Refugees) projects. The management of the projects will be decided through public selection. In this way, mathematically, we will obtain a real form of Reception for the guests, which will include their insertion into the area, with the real possibility of success. Furthermore, there will be savings for the nation. This could be a real solution to the "emergency" which is not a real emergency and one, which for once, takes everybody into consideration."
"I want to remind you," continued the mayor of Palagonia, "that in the Province of Catania alone, with its 58 local councils, it is possible to realise additional SPRAR projects each with a maximum of twenty guests. Where this has been done already, the projects have already shown that it is truly possible to deal with this phenomenon, and obtain optimum results.
I feel that this is the right moment, while some mayors are getting worked up about obtaining the management of the Cara, to launch a proposal which is suggesting the opposite: to build a network of SPRAR projects in the Caltagirone area. Palagonia would be delighted to put itself forward as the coordination centre for the project."